5 Ways to Find the Right Optometrist.

Finding an optometrist  can be pretty tricky, especially if this will be your first visit. Considering the price of traditional prescription eyeglasses, you want to make sure you find someone that will stand behind their prescription and if there is a problem or a mistake along the process will help sort it all out. Of course there is Yelp, but I’ve taken the advice of a random 200 people they gave 5 starts; but I got the 1 or 2 star experience!Find the right optometrist- phoropter

When it comes to my eyes I just don’t like to take chances. Once I find the right person I stick to them for a good while. This way I get the continuity of service and in time I get great prices as a reward for my loyalty!

Of course you can go to your eye insurance provider and pick a random eye care profession in your area.

Quick Ideas on How to Research for An Optometrist

• Talk to your friends and family, they may have an optometrist or even an ophthalmologist that they just love!
  • Get a recommendation from your primary physician or pediatrician if you have one; especially if you like your doctor you may find someone with similar style and values.
  • You can also look online at some of the professional organizations like American Board of Optometry, American Associations of Optometrists, Association of ophthalmologists and our directory for finding an Eye Doctor. The only problem is that this won’t be a personal recommendation (In which case, you should really take a look into 5 Questions to ask Your Optometrist)
  • Look in your neighborhood, find a shape and walk in, take a look around. Don’t be shy ask about the prices…how hard is it to get an appointment? ( I would say the harder the higher the chance they have something good to offer) If you spot someone coming out have a chat with them. Or, get a coffee close by , when a customer comes out, gently walk up and ask for their opinion. I think you will find that most are forthcoming and willing to tell you how it is.
  • Lastly you can also call your favorite hospital in your area and ask for the ophthalmology department and get referrals; but again this lacks the personal aspect.

Whichever way works for you please remember that you can visit the office/store before you make an appointment and just get a feel for the staff and even the Optometrist if available. If you have some questions maybe you can ask him.

They usually have glasses for sale so you can easily browse and see if you like the cleanliness, the attitude of the people and the style before you commit to an appointment.

Once you have seen your eye doctor you can make your own assessment and decide if he/she is for keeps.

26 comments

• 5 Questions to ask Your Optometrist on Your First Visit - Insight Vision - Eyewear InsightApril 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm
    […] Insight Vision - Eyewear Insight » Vision Care » 5 Questions to ask Your Optometrist on Your First Visit « Bifocal Reading Glasses 5 Ways to Find the Right Optometrist. » […]Reply
  • Hannah NeilsonMay 24, 2018 at 11:48 pm
    Thanks for the tip about getting a recommendation from your primary physician when choosing an optometrist. It would be good to consider their recommendations because they would show that they are qualified. My husband and I are looking for an optometrist for our son, so we'll have to talk with our family doctor first.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 6:59 pm
      Hi Hannah glad it is helpful. Thanks for your feedback!Reply
  • James Lee TuckerMay 26, 2018 at 6:56 am
    I like your idea of asking friends for referrals in finding an optometrist. Recently, my daughter has been complaining of having difficulty reading. As I don't want her to suffer further form this eye issue, I'll be asking around to see if they can refer me to a good optometrist for my daughter.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 7:11 pm
      Glad it helps James. Thank you for your comment.Reply
  • Jocelyn McDonaldJune 5, 2018 at 4:26 pm
    My daughter has been having trouble with her eyesight, so I'm looking to take her to an optometrist. Your article had some great tips for choosing a good optometrist, and I really liked your point to talk to friends and family to get recommendations. I'll be sure to talk to some people I trust before taking my daughter to an optometrist. Thanks for the post!Reply
  • Jordan MinerJuly 2, 2018 at 12:56 am
    My wife and I have been looking for an eye doctor, and I think that being able to get some information would be nice. I like that you talked about how you should talk to friends or family about eye doctors. I'm going to have to look into a few good eye doctor options and see what we can find!Reply
  • Rosie BeckettJuly 3, 2018 at 8:10 pm
    I have noticed that my vision is not as good as it used to be, so I am looking for a quality eye doctor in my area. You make a great point that you should get references from family and friends because they will give honest feedback about their doctor. Also, I will make sure to talk to my primary care doctor because he will know about quality eye doctors that I can trust and it will give me peace of mind that I will get the best care.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 7:19 pm
      Rosie thank you for your comments. Glad the information is usefulReply
  • Ellie DavisJuly 9, 2018 at 11:33 pm
    Thank you for suggesting that you should look around your area and check out the different offices. Since my husband and I just moved to a new area this seems like the best way for us to find an eye doctor. I'll have to look around and hopefully, we can find the best doctor for us.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 6:53 pm
      Thanks Ellie - Good luck. If you need help we have a little database - maybe you add your eye doctor when you find her/him. https://eyewearinsight.com/insightvision/business-directory/Reply
  • Ashley MaxwellJuly 16, 2018 at 6:51 pm
    Thanks for mentioning how an optometrist should be well recommended. I also like how you said that they should be professional and belong to an organization as well. My husband and Ia re looking for an optometrist because I need Lasik surgery.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 7:10 pm
      Hi, Ashley Lasik is definitely one way to go. Unfortunately, it doesn't last "forever" at this point, but a super alternative. Thank you for your feedback.Reply
  • Katie WilsonJuly 24, 2018 at 10:23 pm
    My daughter has been saying that her head and eyes hurt a lot after trying to see the whiteboard in class all day. When we take her in to get her eyes checked, we'll have to follow your advice and ask our primary care physician. Getting a recommendation from a trusted doctor would be a really good place to start when finding an optometrist.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 7:08 pm
      Hi Katie - Yes important to take care of your kid's eyes. Thank you for your feedbackReply
  • Katie WilsonJuly 25, 2018 at 11:52 pm
    Your advice about getting a recommendation from a family physician when choosing an eye doctor makes a lot of sense. Finding someone who is qualified and experienced would be ideal as well. My son needs an eye exam, so we'll have to talk with our family doctor first.Reply
    • Eyewear JunkyJuly 26, 2018 at 6:49 pm
      Hi Katie, It's important to find the right help. Thanks for sharing your link! Keep them coming we need to share these resources. We do have an eye doctor directory where you can create a listing.Reply
  • Mark MurphyJuly 31, 2018 at 2:56 pm
    I really like your advice to talk to your friends and family about finding an eye doctor. My son has been complaining that he can't see the board when he is in school. I will be sure to talk to any of my friends that wear glasses to see what eye doctor they go to!Reply
  • Katie WilsonAugust 14, 2018 at 11:44 pm
    I agree that you want to look online for an optometrist. Finding out if they are members of professional, online organizations would help you know that they are qualified. My husband is looking for a pair of glasses to help him read, so we'll have to look online for a nearby optometrist to help.Reply
  • Raymond CooperAugust 23, 2018 at 3:34 pm
    I like how you point out that speaking with friends and family can be a great way to find a good optometrist. My eyes have been giving me problems lately, and I'm thinking I'll need to have them checked out. I'd feel much better about choosing an optometrist after being referred to them by someone I know.Reply
  • Katie WilsonAugust 28, 2018 at 1:48 am
    Thanks for the tip about getting recommendations from a doctor when choosing an optometrist. It would be smart to find someone who is qualified and experienced as well. My husband and I are looking for an eye doctor for our son, so we'll have to check with our physician first.Reply
  • Derek DewittSeptember 5, 2018 at 1:25 pm
    My wife needs new glasses soon, so thanks for sharing this. I like your point about getting recommendations from other doctors in the area. We'll have to try asking out physician if they have an optometrist they'd recommend.Reply
  • Frank DelawareSeptember 5, 2018 at 2:53 pm
    A friend of mine was telling me that they are moving to a new area, and they wanted to make sure they had an eye doctor there. I love that you say to get a recommendation from your current physician. That way, you know they will be reliable!Reply
  • Sutton TurnerSeptember 19, 2018 at 1:45 pm
    I love how you said to talk to your friends and family, they may have an optometrist or even an ophthalmologist that they just love. I am looking for a new eye doctor. Thanks for the tips on finding the right optometrist.Reply